Keep Cool During the Hot Weather In Philadelphia PA
Summer may be dwindling down, but the hot weather sure is going strong! Here are some helpful tips to beat the heat:
- Drink lots of fluids, especially water. Keep cold water with you whenever you are outside.
- Be sure to replace salt, lost through sweat, by either eating some salty snacks (pretzels, crackers) or drinking electrolyte replacement sports drinks.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Limit outside activities to morning before noon and evening after 6pm. STOP if you begin to develop signs of heat exhaustion (pale, sweaty skin, weakness or fatigue, headache, nausea, dizziness, fast weak pulse and fast shallow breathing) and move to an air conditioned or shaded area.
- Monitor people that are at high risk for heat related injuries. Check in on elderly neighbors or those that live alone. Make sure they have adequate ventilation and access to air-conditioning or fans.
If you know someone who is at risk and would benefit from the assistance of a home health aide or nurse, call us at 610-933-6130 for a free in-home assessment!