Fun Ways for Seniors to Celebrate Earth Day With Philadelphia Caregivers
Today as we caregivers in Philadelphia and everyone else celebrate the 45th Anniversary of Earth Day, let’s look at some fun ways that our seniors and their families can enjoy the day:
- Go to a local farmers market and buy fresh produce and enjoy preparing and sharing a healthy, nutritious meal with your family.
- Arrange fresh flowers in your home. Buy or pick fresh flowers and help an elderly loved one arrange a beautiful bouquet to brighten up your home. Arranging flowers can be a very soothing activity, especially for a loved one with dementia.
- Take a nature walk! Going outside for a light walk on a trail or around your neighborhood not only helps to improve your health, but it also helps to boost your energy and quality of life. Join a parent, grandparent or friend for a nature walk today! If your family member is unable to walk due to an illness or disability, use a wheelchair to take them to a local park and enjoying sitting and reminiscing in the fresh spring air!
- Start a garden! Gardening is a perfect way to celebrate Earth day, and to enjoy gorgeous flowers and vegetables all summer long. Help an elderly family member make a garden by setting up a gardening table if they are unable to kneel and plant seeds in the ground. A comfortable seat and a table fixed with all the supplies needed to plant a garden in pots is a perfect activity for seniors. Make sure you stay hydrated and garden at your own pace so you don’t overdo it. Also, make sure you have a friend, a family member, or a phone or life alert button with you so that help is there if you need it.
- Watch a movie or documentary. If you are unable to go outside due to illness or inclement weather conditions, snuggle up with a healthy snack like fresh fruit or veggies and watch a documentary like, Planet Earth (TV mini-series presented on the Discovery Channel in 2007), or Ken Burn’s National Park Series, (a documentary of the creation and stories of the national parks with scenes of some of nature’s most spectacular locales).